Good news! I’m almost halfway through the first draft of Book 3 of the Idyll Trilogy! Not sure if I’ve revealed the name of Book 3, but I might as well announce it in this post. EXILE!! So ‘Idyll,’ ‘The Wilds,’ and ‘Exile.’ How’s that for long ‘I’ sounds mixed with ‘L’s?
So far, my writing has moved much faster on ‘Exile’ than it did with ‘Idyll’ and ‘The Wilds.’ Partly, that might be a “light at the end of the tunnel” thing. I’m starting to get fired up about bits of positive reaction I’ve received, and I’m excited to complete the whole Idyll Trilogy and show my readers how the book ends. I’ve had this Book 3 climax and denouement sketched out (roughly) since October of 2014! I hope people will find it hopeful and thought-provoking, and maybe a bit heartbreaking as well.
Another thing that slowed down my progress on ‘Idyll’ and ‘The Wilds?’ There was a lot more open to change in the story. In fact, I’ve mentioned on the blog before how ‘Idyll’ went through massive changes during the seven years (yikes!) that I fiddled with it. Zombies to lasers, to neo-cavemen, to comet UFOs. At one point, all of these things (and more) existed in the Idyll world. In Book 2, my main stumbling blocks came from the plot. There were at least three times where I would hit a stumbling block in the story (usually I needed a character to act in a way that didn’t make sense, or the story elements were becoming too complicated to explain), so I would have to backtrack and rework the path until I had a story that was as simple and smooth as possible.
With ‘Exile,’ the potential for detours has greatly been decreased. Most of the world-building is established, the character’s voices have been clearly defined. Also the room for divergencies in the plot has been greatly tightened.
With all that said, a few months back I decided to do something unconventional—maybe controversial—to try to eliminate any stumbling blocks or rewrites. I already know exactly where I want the story to be at about 66% into the book. There’s a big milestone event that happens there, and the fallout from that is what shapes everything thereafter. I had a rough outline that was pretty good at fleshing out the story leading to that 66% milestone, but I was pretty hazy on what our heroes do that gets them to the books climax and the series epilogue.
So I stopped writing from the beginning of the book, skipped ahead to the moments after that 66% milestone and started writing from there! From there I wrote up to the epilogue, which I’m guess will be the last 8% of the book. (The epilogue is going to be pretty loooong! I might end up just calling it the last chapter).
Now I’m writing again from the front of the book, armed with the foresight of what the characters need and what they WILL be thinking in the last third of the book. So, far the process has worked pretty well. I just hope the tone that I’ve fallen into now will match the tone that I was writing in two months ago. But there’s been several times before that I’ve written sequential sections of a book at different times, and then I had to go back and smooth over the tone between them.
Fingers crossed that this will work out, and I’ll keep writing at this steady pace!